Sunday, September 16, 2007

I named her Tammy

All she needed was a bath and a name.

I was toweling her off and she had a huge smile on her face. Even a bath was a welcome bit of attention. I named her Tammy.
Tammy had a little crick in her tail, and a lot of hair-loss. She also had a look in her eyes that showed a history of neglect, but dispite her past, she was willing to wiggle for me and lick my face. I was in love.

The next time I saw her, she was as excited as a child a the fair.
All of the smells and sounds of the Big Adoption Event didn't scare her. She actually feasted on all the activity, and smiled at every person who passed her by. Her smile and joyful spirit attracted a lot of attention, but once the potential adopters saw her hair-loss, suddenly she lost her appeal. Tammy didn't know she was anything other than a happy dog that day. She didn't care that she had any hair-loss...she was having too much fun...

It was nearing the end of the day and Tammy still hadn't been adopted. She didn't know she would be returning to the pound, and was just enjoying the last few moments of a wonderful summer day out in the fresh air.
I actually started crying when I looked over and noticed she had made herself comfortable in the lap of one of the volunteers. People were sneaking her little pieces of pizza crust, and she was listening to the last song of the afternoon...it was the best day of her life, I'm sure.

Tammy wasn't at the Pound the next time I went in to walk dogs, and I instantly panicked. I had fallen for this dog, and was determined that the next Adoption Event would yield a loving new home for her, but she was nowhere in sight. She had been transferred to Greenhill...whew, she wasn't dead.

Instantly I started inquiring as to her status and for the next two months she was being held in the back, dispite the offer of a foster-home for her in August, and, as far as I know, two people willing to meet her and adopt. Why?? It all boils down to an ego issue between Teresa Iverson, and an ex-volunteer.
Tammy had been re-named J Lo and J Lo was being held in the back, not allowed to go for walks or receive the normal attention any Animal needs to thrive. All for a simple "flea Allergy".
She was eventually placed on the floor for one day, but a staff person saw her "bar her teeth" (she could have her eyes being jabbed by a pencil, and I don't believe she would have "barred her teeth"...she was incapable of being mean...) and so she was thrown back into isolation until her death on Saturday, September 8th. She had been labeled "Aggressive".

J Lo (Tammy) was the perfect little loving spirit, still able to trust, even after what had been an obvious life of neglect. She had a world of love to share and would have been a faithful companion until her dying breath. Her dying breath was at the hands of an un-caring staff-person, at an un-caring "Humane Society".

I will always remember how I was struck with instant tears when I saw her warm eyes squinting into the sunshine while her ears were perked to listen to the music. That big smile on her face, as she was being hand-fed pizza-crust treats, and being cuddled in loving arms. THAT was the life she deserved. THAT is the life she will never have.

To Greenhill, J Lo is only another statistic, and another cruel victim of the games we humans play. To the rest of us...J Lo is a little Angel who deserved much more than this.

No comments: